Best CPAP Pillow for Side Sleepers on Amazon

Discussion in 'Sleep Apnea & CPAP Users Forum' started by SuperMary, Apr 16, 2017.

1. SuperMary

SuperMary New Member

Hello everyone,

I am a side sleeper looking for a suitable CPAP pillow. The tubing often comes in the way and I cannot sleep comfortably.

Also, I suspect that there are more air leaks when I turn on my side.

Can some one tell me what are all the things that I need to look for in a CPAP pillow, especially for one who sleeps on their side like me?

Thanks in advance.

2. evie

evie New Member

My preference is a pillow that's very firm and form fitting so that it gives good support.

3. SleepingBeauty

SleepingBeauty New Member

A good CPAP pillow should keep your chin pointing upward, not tucked down to avoid reducing your airway. It should not cause any leaks. It should provide good support for the head, neck and shoulder.

It is better if your pillow also has a tether for your CPAP hose, also if you can adjust its thickness whenever you need.

cpap-pillow-300x1901-300x190[1].jpg

Your CPAP pillow should use absorbent breathable material to reduce heat build up and to allow sweat to be absorbed. Preferably, the pillow should have a layer of memory foam so that a contour can be formed. As always, check carefully the terms of their warranty. Hope that helps.

4. juxtaposition

juxtaposition New Member

I sometimes wake up with a pain in the neck (literally), I don't know if it has to do with my CPAP or not, though.

5. babushka

babushka New Member

I would like to use a special CPAP pillow because my mask leaks when I am sleeping on my side. Another thing is that the mask either presses against my face or gets slightly shifted by the side of my face, most of the time causing air leaks.

OTOH, if I position myself in such a way that my mask will stay in place and does not leak, I often end up straining or stressing my neck and shoulder muscles. I then wake up with a nasty pain in the neck or shoulder, or both.

I think many of those who habitually sleep on their stomach also face similar issues with their face mask.

6. SleepMaster

SleepMaster Administrator
    Staff Member

There are at least two different shapes that you could try, and a couple of options wrt pillow filling. See which would be more comfortable for you. After all, people's preferences differ and sleeping positions also slightly differ. Some people even shift their position in sleep all the time.

The common pillow shown below is rectangular. It comes with various kinds of material inside.

b1ba68894f0a7e65762cdf9a21b20a05[1].jpg
    A specially design CPAP pillow generally comes in what is called a contoured shape. This stops the mask from pressing against your mattress or your face.

cpap-contour-shape-pillow-300x1881-300x188.jpg
    CPAP pillows are typically filled with buckwheat or memory foam, or sometimes, both. A buckwheat pillow is filled with the hulls of organic buckwheat. These pillows are versatile and endlessly adjustable. Just add or take out as many buckwheat hulls as you need for the right thickness.

The pillow shifts shape and adjusts to the shape of your head and neck. You never get a flattened or sunk area on your pillow, the husks move in place to keep the shape of the pillow. The pillow lasts many years. It also keeps off mites, so if you are allergic to mites, this is the right one for you. You get great ventilation because the hulls have ample empty space between them. Your pillow stays cool. The same factor also helps take away sweat promptly and keep your pillow dry. Best thing is that buckwheat filled pillows don't cost you the earth and you don't need to do anything special to maintain them.

Oh well, the hulls do make a noise of their own, if you don't mind the sound, they are fine for you. They also have a kind of smell of their own, which again, if you like or tolerate then it's is no issue.

Buckwheat-Pillow-Organic-Filling-AND-Case--300x214.jpg
    Alternately, you could consider a pillow filled with memory foam. which molds to your body shape and provide effective support at all points. These pillows may not be breathable and so heat and moisture build up could be issues.

images[1].jpg

Best of both worlds, you could mix buckwheat hulls with shredded memory foam for a softer feel.

HTH.

7. annabel

annabel New Member

A very common side sleeper CPAP pillow comes in a horse shoe shape and many people find it cozy to snuggle up to.

neck-pillow.jpg

8. pierce

pierce New Member

I have been using CPAPfit pillow that I purchased from Amazon and I am happy with it. As a side sleeper, I liek the fact that myu head can float on it as opposed to sinkage which many pillows give. The pillow can also be sculpted a bit to give you your preferred clearance. It's improved my sleep ever since I bought it.

9. Valentino

Valentino New Member

I am a bigtime side sleeper and use nasal mask. Last Christmas I purchased a "Beans72 Organic Buckwheat Pillow " via Amazon. It's big and heavy, but I like it overall and the quality is very good. I sleep cooler and dont toss and turn much now and my leak rate is much lower as the pillow makes space for the mask. It is a bit firm and if people want it soft firmness can be easily toned down by removing husks. It is the best for me :)

10. eva910

eva910 New Member

I bought the large CPAP comfort pillow from EnduriMed, mainly because it is the highest rated and most reviewed cpap pillow on Amazon. It has corner pockets to make room for the mask and prevent slippages and leaks. It is medium-firm, just how I like it. I also have CPAPfit pillow that @pierce likes which is slightly firmer. Both are equally good. If you like hard pillows you might prefer CPAPFit though.

11. JILlIan

JILlIan New Member

I am considering buying the same pillow. Is it suitable for stomach sleepers? Any idea if it is firmer than a tempurpedic pillow?

12. eva910

eva910 New Member

It certainly allows me to sleep on my stomach, I can tell you that. Ofcourse you cant sleep face down, keep the head sideways. And the EnduriMed Comfort pillow is slightly softer or about the same firmness compared to Tempurpedic in my opinion.

13. jane

jane New Member

Plus one for EnduriMed Comfort pillow. It supports the mask well and has good neck support. I prefer the thinner side with larger cut-outs (heights are different on each side, so you can pick)