Saatva Mattress User experiences - Good & Bad Reviews

Discussion in 'Mattress User Reviews, Ratings & Discussions' started by rubyclifton, May 14, 2017.

1. rubyclifton

rubyclifton New Member

Recently purchased the Saatva mattress. I very much like Saatva's Pillow-top which is sewn into the mattress, in a classic Euro-style and is one of Saatva’s trademark signs, something they are very proud of. It is composed of an insert, that is about an inch in thickness and has a weight of 1.5 pounds. In addition to this, it has a fairly decent ILD of nearly 34-35. This insert works to combat random noise generation of nthe coils and cushions the more rigid tips of the springs. The cover thopugh is only 40% cotton, not completely organic?

2. jane

jane New Member

Saatva is one of the better beds I have owned... Their Luxury Firm version is just right for me. I have Sleep Apnea and lingering back issues and this mattress cradled and took care of my back so well :) My husband has arthritis and he too is happy with the mattress.... I dont know too many technical details, but we are happy with the Saatva.

3. sunkissed23

sunkissed23 New Member

I love Saatva too, definetely good value for money... and @rubyclifton the organic cover may be only 40% cotton but is still organic. They do use other synthetic fabric, such as hypo allergenic fibers that are infused into the foundation of the fabric. And the quilted cover has a really pretty and closely spaced pattern smack down in the middle of the mattress that gives it an overall cozy feel.

4. Mattresso

Mattresso New Member

I think that the way Saatva innovated on its top layers is really good to see. They took care of essential padding in the cover-pillowtop and ensured that all the materials they used were of rather high quality. They almost have excellent global recognition and are definitely one of the mattress giants. Their prices are very reasonable for the products that they offer, and yet they only strive for better.

Saatva makes use of good quality products and does not compromise on quality/durability. Why else would they go for compressed pocket coils, when everyone else in the biz just use good old microcoils? They want to be the company that is known to care for our chagrin over low quality.

It’s not even about that, today most memory foam mattresses that are super pricey do not last more than 2-3 years, what with the sag factor that seems to be skyrocketing. Saatva definitely has the higher ground in terms of durability over most companies I know. Let’s talk about the layers now.

The cover that has the quilted pattern is very durable, very much so because of its pre-compression period whilst quilting. You’ll notice that the quilting pattern is quite unique; instead of a visual delight, the quilting provides a bigger support for heavier parts of the body, or areas that apply the most pressure onto the mattress, which is super smart. Here, the quilting is more closely stitched. But if I’m being honest, I think that the quilting layers should be a tad bit thinner (instead of 2 inches, which is a little too thick for a quilted cover over the normal cover. The lower the thickness, the lesser chances of having soft spots or visible compressions.

5. ToothFairy

ToothFairy New Member

With the Saatva, the centre zoning region has three layers in total, inclusive of the coils in the foundation layer, the quilted cover and the pillow-top sewn into it. I think that this adds an additional thickness and comfort to the sleeper where the support is most needed, such as the lumbar area. Further, chances of the memory foam softening and compressions being visible on the surface of the mattress are lesser. Now don’t mistake this for a mattress that will never soften; that almost never happens for a mattress that has memory foam in any of its layers. But since the layers are thicker and provide additional support, even areas that have heavier impact on the mattress will tend not to sag as much.

Another thing that is pretty cool is the certiPUR validation of the memory foam that they make use of, so they haven’t harmed anyone or anything while producing it. Good to know ha. The 3 layers in total not only adds support and comfort, but also to maintain proper spinal alignment with respect to the rest of the body. Additionally, the layers prevent the mattress from compressing much with the foam not softening as fast and generally slow breakdown of the composition, this is a fairly good choice overall.

Further, it does satisfy the category of leading its own niche, wherein it is a hybrid mattress that makes use of both coil on coil technology as well as memory foam and has worked well with both, eliminating their bads and amplifying their goods! I’d say, overall a great job done by them. If I do have some concerns, it would be that the use of memory foam in the higher layers of the mattress (lower density foam) which is probably not the smartest. But overall, Saatva has put into the mattress industry a really good product with a lot of value and loads of competition trying to tear it down; but Saatva is a survivor. I feel like even though they may not be a ultra premium brand, they are very much comparable with the premium mattresses and puts up a good fight!

6. softsleeper

softsleeper New Member

My friend has the Saatva luxury firm. There is some noticeable heat retention with the mattress. Bounce is good though but my friend says he could hear the springs a little bit sometimes, which improved after the break-in period of 20 days. And yeah this mattress also has some initial odor.

One thing I want to point out. They state this on their website:
    You’ll notice that while the statements seem valid, they are not technically correct. Many factors have been estimated and overall they made it seem like they are the pioneers of Bonnell coils for mattresses. For starters, they have mentioned they used microcoils which were costlier than Latex. I don’t know where they got that fact, but latex (even synthetic) is very expensive. It’s a known fact that microcoils probably cost around the same as memory foam, let alone latex. What they should’ve said was the use of pocketed coils within the comfort layer which would explain their cost factor a little better and atleast be appropriate information.

7. swizzlestick

swizzlestick New Member

We bought the Saatva after dumping the 2 Tempurpedics that just lost shape. So this time decided to go for innerspring and bought the firm comfort level as I am over 220lb and hate sinking into beds. Its been over 4 months and very happy as of now.

8. SleepMaster

SleepMaster Administrator
    Staff Member

Just want to add few points.

Saatva mattress is one sided and no no flipping this thing. Head to foot rotation at least once a year may be needed to minimize sagging.

Saatva offers soft, medium and firm variants, which is common for most companies. You get to choose whichever works for you best and they do usually try to focus on the choice that a larger group of sleepers would go for. Saatva's micro coil/ pocket coil infusion within the comfort layer could feel rather different to traditional memory foam mattrresses and while imo this is a good change, this may be a good thing overall, this may not be a good thing for some people, it depends entirely on your personal preference.

Note that the entire feel of the mattress is mostly contained within the comfort layer so ensure it’s for you, before anything else. Further, the materials you want in your mattress is again your choice. Some people that love Saatva really like Bonnell and pocket coils that promote durability and also breathability of the cover.

If you’re buying the mattress online, it’s probably best you get in touch with customer care and ensure you get all the details sorted out; most problems such as refunds, trial periods, warranties are barely issues when purchasing online, but other factors such as the feel, the materials, whether you’re allergic to any of the components, etc is important, because you’re not actually checking it out before making the purchase.

9. jackson64

jackson64 New Member

With any online purchase comes an increased risk of making a not so ideal choice, but thanks to the proper return policies with full refunds and tempting trial periods, I guess that makes it a little easier on the customers. Infact IMO you would only "really" know if a particular mattress is the one you want to sleep on for years is when you use it for a week or two and "online buying" offers you that option of returning the mattress after using it for a while.

10. CelL4

CelL4 New Member

Saatva has different firmness levels, but in general has an estimated ILD range of 30-55 (does however largely depend on what comfort level is chosen). Do they screen the providers of polyfoam as well as perform the process of off-gassing. Do they actually test the mattresses themselves in an effort to check if the mattress holds the comfort layers in place with time. I think the price range is fairly reasonable for the product delivered and the customer care had excellent response overall.

11. diamond

diamond New Member

With regard to the specifications of who delivers the polyfoam, yes they are screened and they ensure that the product received is authentic; they can lose serious sales if proven otherwise. Further, the ILDs for each of the layers and what not depends entirely on your reference of firmness, if you think something is firm, another person need not have the same opinion, hence I would say, don’t get carried away by these mere figures. Don’t get swayed by the fancy “Specs” of the mattress or individual layers of the same.

12. danny

danny New Member

On another note, They definitely offer higher value than lots of mattresses. But on their site, the companies they are comparing themselves to are way too pricey; making them an obvious choice. Common business tactics... just saying :p

13. hugo65

hugo65 New Member

I really wanted to like this mattress. I got the Plush comfort variant and it's pretty comfortable. I have degenrated discs on my back and it did feel good the first couple of nights but in the end I decided I was sinking too much into the mattress and that's not good for my back. Perhaps it was a bit too soft for me and I woke up with a pinched nerve in my neck one day. Saatva issued a fast refund including delivery cost. So kudos to them.

14. Izzy

Izzy New Member

I have had the mattress for a little over a month. The firmness is as advertised and it has had a noticeably positive impact in my sleeping experience, especially with my chronic neck problems. I like that it has a slight bounce but this also means I feel the movement of my huisband more than in our old memory foam mattress. The mattress looks and feels well made and I will try to update this thread with my experience after a few months.

You should have tried Saatva's luxury firm selection if "Plush" was too soft for you. Plush is too soft for most people anyway.

15. hugo65

hugo65 New Member

Well, you are right. And I was tempted to exchange for the Luxury Firm but finally decided to stay with my latex mattress, just to be on the safe side :p

16. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton New Member

so I’ve been wanting to buy Saatva for a bit now, what can I say, I’m a sucker for those fliers in the supermarket. Anyway, my wife and myself have been reading up on all possible reviews on Saatva, online platforms, websites, these forums, you name it. After getting here and finding out that half the stuff I read on their website was gibberish, we are considering going another way. But what to pick, so many options out there. The worst part is, every time we really set our minds on something, we find one negative and let it go. At this point, we are very confused with all the options and need some help. I have a condition with my back, so my requirements don’t match that of normal people, however, my lovely wife is super adjusting and will put up with my insanity. I basically just need a mattress that provides me with the appropriate amount of support without being too firm. Many of the mattresses we scanned online does fit our budget but the ranges are pretty ridiculous: they’re either super cheap, making us question it’s legitimacy or either super expensive, making us wonder if it’s worth the price.

17. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton New Member

Thanks a bunch! My wife and I really appreciate all your help. As I’ve told you, research I’ve done plenty, and if there’s one thing that Saatva has advantage over any other brand in the mattress company, it’s the number of positive reviews on the internet. I know that some of them may not even be legit, but I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, BBB gave them a straight A ranking with close to zero complaints. There are very few companies capable of that, and Saatva is one, so trust me I know its value. Further, the Sleep Number (or the SN) got an A+ but a bunch of complaints, so I’m not sure how legit those ratings are either. Either way, they do guarantee a full refund should I feel it uncomfortable, no questions asked. I think for the price of $1200, I may just take a shot at it.

18. SleepMaster

SleepMaster Administrator
    Staff Member

@Fergie Fulton When compared to many mainstream mattress companies that are coming up today, Saatva has the upper hand: higher quality leading to higher longevity and overall brand recognition gives it the advantage.